A New Flag Design for Pocatello, Idaho was highlighted in The Idaho State Journal article published on 10/8/2016 stating…
“The City of Pocatello is reaching out to anyone with artistic talent, design skills, imaginations and everything in between to help with the redesign of the Gate City’s Flag.”
Here is the city of Pocatello web page, Redesign Pocatello’s Flag which has an Overview, Official rules and Entry Form.
The reason for this endeavor is that the North American Vexillological Association conducted a survey in 2004 to judge the best and worst American city flags. See definition of “Vexillological.” https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vexillology
Surprise, the City of Pocatello, Idaho, according to the above association, has the distinction of having the worst American city flag.
Then in 2015 the website www.ted.com ran a video by Roman Mars entitled “Why city flags may be the worst-designed thing you’ve ever noticed. Click here to watch the 18.18 video – you’ll see the Pocatello Flag at the end.
So, the city of Pocatello has formed the Flag Design Ad Hoc Committee, named Logan McDougall as the chairman, and they will be accepting design submissions until December 2, 2016.
For some people, flags are an intellectual passion. The North American Vexillological Association is a group officially dedicated to the study of flags, meeting annually to discuss the pressing vexillological issues of the day and has a set of rules for what makes for a good city flag:
- Keep It Simple(The flag should be so simple that a child can draw it from memory)
- Use Meaningful Symbolism(The flag’s images, colors, or patterns should relate to what it symbolizes)
- Use 2-3 Basic Colors(Limit the number of colors on the flag to three, which contrast well and come from the standard color set)
- No Lettering or Seals(Never use writing of any kind or an organization’s seal)
- Be Distinctive or Be Related(Avoid duplicating other flags, but use similarities to show connections)
Why should we care what the city of Pocatello flag looks like? For one thing it projects a graphic image that symbolizes Pocatello. According to Logan McDougal symbolism is perhaps the most important aspect of what the committee is looking for.
For those interested in the design of the Pocatello city flag, the video by Roman Mars is a must.
Here is a list of related websites and postings: